Saturday, May 4, 2024

Video Piece Harukaze 春風 Spring Breeze - Making of Chashitsu

While I was producing the Harukaze 春風 Spring Breeze project, I thought that a tea ceremony must encompass the perspective of a comprehensive art.  Since the space is large, I thought it would not be a good idea to place small objects randomly.  Instead, I decided to create a video piece with images suggesting these objects.  At first I considered using projection, but since the event was at 6:00 p.m., when it was still light, and since the space did not allow control of light from outside, I decided to use a TV set to play the video.  It was running in the space of the atrium of McKnight during the show thanks to the cooperation of the office of WSU ADCI.  You can watch it on my YouTube channel now.

Harukaze 春風 Spring Breeze Making of Chashitsu

The artist statement is below.








Harukaze 春風 Spring Breeze

Making of Chashitsu

Video

Artist statement

Chiyoko Myose

 

Tea ceremony generally takes place within a traditional Japanese room called chashitsu, or a tearoom.  Chashitsu is set in a garden featuring elements like tsukubai, a washbasin for visitors to purify themselves before entering the chashitsu.  

Inside, the chashitsu is decorated simply, and yet thoughtfully with art elements such as a hanging scroll, bamboo works, flower arrangement, and ceramic works.  This is why the tea ceremony is called a comprehensive art form. 

With this exhibit, I sought to capture this essence of the tea ceremony environment. However, rather than placing these objects directly in the space, I chose to create a video work that draws inspiration from a chashitsu.

This video piece includes alternative elements reminiscent of those found in a traditional chashitsu such as water in a stream and a lake, and flowers in the field.  Here I have dared to choose wildflowers, which are considered weeds. These landscapes, when carefully observed and meditated upon, reveal deep layers of beauty and significance.

Instead of the traditional hanging scroll and tea bowl, I included a calligraphy scene by Rino and a tea bowl throwing scene by Wyatt as beautiful alternatives.

By layering them over the gently swaying images of my installation "A Thread X A Thread" and using posterize effect in places, I expressed a feeling of imagining and recognizing "chashitsu"– the one and only moment of tranquility and gratitude – wherever I go.