Saturday, May 4, 2024

Two Students' Response Works and My Ceramics Art Collection

Harukaze 春風 Spring Breeze project was not only a collaboration with a tea ceremony and an installation exhibition, but also an opportunity for me to share the process and experience of creating a work and a project with a couple of students of the Robert Bubp's Community Arts Engagement class. As their final assignment, they created an event and artwork in response to my installation, A Thread X A Thread.


Wyatt, a studio art major with a concentration in ceramics, created an event called "Handmade Cup Exchange” at Henrion Hall where ceramics studios are. People were constantly coming and going, exchanging their work with others, kind of secretly. It looked like they were having fun with this game-like activity all day long.






I also had the honor of exchanging a bowl that I made many years ago with a very beautiful Wyatt's bowl. Mine is in the back. That was his idea, by the way. I know, I am so humbled.

Lynn, an art education major with a concentration in painting, created an installation experimenting with optical illusion effects using three primary colors of yarn.






I am so humbled, honored, and thrilled that they have responded to my work using their areas of expertise to create unique pieces and events with concepts that resonate with my work, while using very different materials and different ideas.

On the same day, WSU Ceramics Guild Spring Sale was going on under the Lynn's piece.  You can get one-of-a kind originals.  This year's spring sale is over, but they do this regularly for getting funding for the guild. 



I bought a bowl at the sale. Probably, the magic of the Lynn's piece encouraged it, too! Now, I have a collection of ceramic works in front of me! Have I started an art collection? It's just so exciting!