Friday, October 16, 2015

Botanica Fall Project -- Pumpkin Emoji Amphitheater

For Botanica's fall project, each of us was going to make two pieces, one with natural materials, and another with pumpkins.  My idea of making an amphitheater using pumpkins for the circular shaped seating area got approved, so after I finished installing my "Prairie Origami Cranes and Nest,"  I started making this amphitheater.

The site for the piece

 A load of pumpkins

 I painted emoji faces on each pumpkins.  Each one shows different emotion.

 Setting them up

From the stage side                                  


Zoomed up views of the actors.  The waterfall sounds like opera singing.   


The view was pretty spectacular with bright orange color and many round pumpkins placed along the circular elements of the site.  While I was setting it up and painting the faces, I saw people saying "Whoaaaa!" They were walking around the piece, looking at the details, smiling at them, and taking photos of the piece.  I was thanked by many people for making this work.  


The artist statement is here.  

The complete view of my outdoor installation "Pumpkin Emoji Amphitheater"