Friday, October 16, 2015

Botanica Fall Project -- Making of the Origami Crane Element

After some brainstorming, I decided to make a mobile origami cranes and their nest for the site of the arbor and pathway area.
Since it is outdoor, strong and durable materials were needed for the armature.  So with the steel rods,  I made a simplified but good enough design to suggest the form of an origami crane.


After measuring, cutting and bending the steel rods, I got a help with welding part.  


I did put a helmet, though, to assist him.  Here is my selfie. 


Nine cranes were made.  They have slightly different postures.





Then I added the twines and the wires.  They serve as an armature for the surface.


Natural materials such as tall grasses, twigs, and leaves were inserted to the surface and they were ready to be installed at the site in Botanica.