Friday, September 1, 2023

Foundation House, CT Artist Residency Experience Part 1 Arrival

In August, 2023, I participated in an artist residency program at Foundation House, Greenwich, CT.  Although it was only a short period of nine days, It was a very impactful experience for me.  For the next several posts.  I am going to write about this place and the experience.    

This spring, while searching the internet for art opportunities, a place caught my eye.  It was Foundation House in Greenwich, Connecticut.  It was described as "a creative and philanthropic community."  It was once a mansion for Mel Gibson and other wealthy people.  There is a large Tudor-style manor house built in 1927. Outside are extensive yards, gardens, ponds, horse stables, greenhouses, gardens, orchards, a tennis court, a huge chess set, swimming pool, rotunda, and hedge maze.  At first glance, it looked beautiful and interesting, but also mysterious.  The facility offers artist residencies and activist residency programs throughout the year. Their mission to improve the environment, social justice, and mental health was exactly what I was thinking about while making art.  They also offer a stipend and honorarium to cover the cost of residency.  They encouraged me to apply for the Artist Residency program in August.

When I learned that I had been selected as one of eight participants out of 80 applicants, I was very excited!  I immediately purchased my airline ticket and began packing for Connecticut. 

When I arrived at Foundation House, I found it to be a truly beautiful place, far beyond my expectation.  My bedroom was in the middle part of the second floor. The latticed, south-facing windows faced a spectacular view of open green lawns, huge trees, and bushes both near and far.  They were all well-maintained and neatly landscaped.  Everything in sight was within the estate.  I was speechless with amazement and emotion.



Every day I woke up to the morning sun, the sound of birds and the smell of coffee.  I tried to walk outside every day and also spent many hours in my private studio, which was located on the corner of the house and had windows on two sides of the room.  I worked on my small painting series "Iridescence" here day and night.  I was able to focus on art making thanks to the environment that provides us with food, financial support, and time for individual use.             








To be continued...

Foundation House, Greenwich, CT, August, 2023