Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Foundation House, CT, Artist Residency Experience Part 3. Apple Orchard

On the second day, Christina, the Director of Foundation House, gave us a tour of the outside grounds.  We looked around the rotunda, pond, the island in the middle of the pond, a crooked bridge to go to the island, the horse trails, the green house, the former stable, and more. 










She told us that the apple trees in the orchard were bearing fruits for the first time in several years. This was the first time since the new owners purchased the land. Inspired by this, I decided to temporarily install my installation "A Thread X A Thread" here as a way to say, "the apples have found a home" and to celebrate. I thought it would mesh well with the theme of my piece.






Our artist residency group had a group photo here with Mimi, the owner of this place, and her beautiful dogs!  I am truly grateful to Mimi for buying this place and saving it from being destroyed and letting us to use it.  What generous philanthropic spirit!  



That day, an accident happened. The sprinkler had wet my threads. Knowing that the morning dew would make them even wetter, I decided to leave them overnight. I waited for the afternoon sun to dry them out completely and took the pieces down. They smelled like the Connecticut sun.  It was an accident, but I think it added an even more interesting saga to this work.





Foundation House, Greenwich, CT  August, 2023