Saturday, September 22, 2012

Yarn Bombing at Wichita State University

I graduated from Wichita State University (WSU), Wichita, KS in 2011, but I am still involved in some art activities on campus.  The WSU Ulrich Museum of Art organized "yarn bombing", and dozens of sculpture on campus were covered in yarn this week.  The Ulrich Museum has a great outdoor sculpture collection and it is rated one of the top ten campus sculpture collections in the U.S.  There are more than 75 pieces of sculpture on the 330-acre campus.  These pages introduce the sculpture collection:  
The yarn bombing makes people take a second look at these sculptures.  More than 100 local knitters, crocheters, and artists worked on this project since May.  I was involved in it, too, by contributing some crochet and helping to install them. 
These are the  squares and  the circles that I contributed.    It was a good color study, and it reminded me of Josef Albers' "Homeage to Squrare" series when I was making them.  







Among many sculptures that they worked on,  I will post photos of eleven of them. 

Yarn bombed Andy Goldsworthy's 'Wichita Arch'

     The three columns, the remnant of the Carnegie Library building is now yarn bombed.

Yarn bombed Tom Otterness' 'Millipede'

Detail

Yarn bombed Francisco Zuniga's 'Tres Mujeres Caminando'

Yarn bombed Auguste Rodin's 'La Cathedrale'

 Yarn bombed Fernando Botero's 'Man with Cane, Woman with Umbrella'

 Yarn bombed Dame Barbara Hepworth's 'Figure'

 Yarn bombed William Zorach's 'Kneeling Figure'

Luis Jimenez, Jr. 's 'Howl' is yarn bombed.  I think this is my favorite!

Yarn bombed Charles Grafly's sculptures

'Thomas Jefferson' by Donald De Lue is yarn bombed.

Many of them make me gasp and giggle.  I am amazed by creativity and playfulness of the people here.  They are going to stay up there till 5:00pm, September 23rd.  Hope you can check them out!  For more information, go to:  http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=ulrichmuseum&p=/Art/Exhibitions/YarnBombing/