Saturday, May 4, 2024

Relationship with Architectural Design, Cathedral-Like Atmosphere, and a White Bird

Here are some more photos of my work "A Thread X A Thread" that  I took in the atrium of McKnight Art Center. 

I know several other artists have exhibited their work in this space in the past.  I am so honored to be a part of the legacy of the history of these artsits.  When creating an installation piece, I realize installation art is so much associated with architectural design.  I was fascinated by the stately, solid, yet open design of the atrium of McKnight.  At the same time, the contrast with my work, which appears weak, delicate, and almost invisible was interesting.  I also found it intriguing that this seemingly weak object appears to be holding the space and creating a design of strong movement.  

It felt like being in a cathedral. Frits Hemans, my late art history professor told us that the design of the structure and the space of McKnight Art Center were inspired by the ones of cathedals, so that made sense. 

I kept looking up and gazing at my pieces, and it looked as if a white bird was spreading its wings and flying.  I thank God for this installation, this space, their relationship with me, and giving me this spiritual feel in the image.