Sunday, May 7, 2017

Preparing for my Upcoming Show "Movements of Threads"

     My show at Main Gallery in CityArts is coming soon.  The space is big, and I am so freaking nervous!  In this show, I am showing paintings and also four installations that I worked on for the last several years.  Three of the installations are ones that I have not shown publicly in Wichita.  Here are some photos in preparation for the show.

     I am doing a lot of braiding for my new installation called "Gift."  It's over one mile long now.  I hope it will be around two miles by the time I finish.

     Working on my small painting series called "Iridescence".  Making layers with painting, drawing, splashing, peeling, scraping, blowing...  Fun to have unexpected images at the end.

     Detail of "Iridescence #65"

     In this picture, I'm working on one of my larger paintings in my series called, "Sojourning."  Each painting takes lots of time.  Hope they will be ready for the show!!

     I am also attending the weekly musicians' rehearsal.  A music piece composed by Daniel Racer, a composer and Professor at Friends University, inspired by my installations in this show.  This collaborative experience, which started about two years ago, has been an adventure to me. It totally makes me feel excited and humbled.  It is going to be performed for the first time in public at the opening reception by Cindy Thompson (Oboe), Kay Buskirk (viola), and Daniel Racer (double bass).  


     The other day, I spent a day at the library of Kansas State University, writing the artist statement for the show.  It was cold and rainy.  Perfect weather for this. Also I really loved this alcove study space.


     I am so thankful that this show has been supported by Artist Grant from Arts Council of Wichita.  

Movements of Threads
Place:  Main Gallery, CityArts
Date:  May 26 - June 24, 2017
Opening Reception:  May 26, 6:00 - 8:00 pm