Thursday, June 23, 2016

Making Works for Prairie Pines and Arts AMaize

     This summer, I was invited to make outdoor sculptures / installations at Prairie Pines in Maize KS for a music concert series called,"Chamber Music at the Barn".  Prairie Pines has beautiful gardens with a stone bridge, ponds and waterfalls.  I fell in love with this place immediately as I was shown around.

     I was attracted to two places for my works.  One is this site with a waterfall.  It is an enclosed area surrounded by trees.  From the top of the waterfall to the bottom, there is about 10 foot height difference.  The water flows into a stream which is about 30 feet long.  I was inspired by the topography and the sense of serenity of this area.

     
 
     Another site is here with a lone tree in a green lawn.

     Instead of the material of threads that I often use for my installation, I decided to use monofilaments and wires for this project to make my work durable outdoors.  These materials led me to make shapes of leaves.  Here is a sketch for the elements.

       This is an illustration of the planned image.


     After I got the approval for my proposal, I started making elements of leaves with monofilaments and wires at home.  The technique is to tie knots just like I did with my previous works.







Chamber Music at the Barn
Date: June 23 - July 29, 2016
Place: Prairie Pines
4055 N. Tyler Rd. Maize, KS, 67101
More music concerts Information here.