Friday, July 10, 2015

3 AM in Sojourner's Journey at Carriage Factory Gallery in Newton, KS

Thank you to those of you who already visited my solo exhibition at Carriage Factory Gallery in Newton KS!  I have been to the city of Newton several times and got to know the town better now.  What a lovely town with cute shops, restaurants, old historical buildings, and a railway station!

This railway station is the reason for the title of the show, "3 AM in Sojourner's Journey -- East Meets West"  This is the closest passenger train station to the place where I live, which makes it very significant for me.  It is the beginning of the journey to anywhere.  I learned that the Amtrak trains from the east and from the west meet near Newton once a day, around 3 AM.  Literally,people coming from the west meet people coming from the east meet here.  I feel this is what happens through my art.  I feel that as a person from the east, I can meet and communicate with people from the west through my art.  Here are some of the views of the railway station.





The gallery is just one street north of the railway station.  This is the outside view of the gallery.  This building is a historical building which used to be a carriage factory, but has been used as an art gallery and was renovated recently.  It is a three story building, and each floor is used for different function, for another show, the permanent exhibit, and the members' gallery.  It also has a little shop for small artworks to be purchased.  The gallery is also hosting art classes regularly.  The board president Susan Koehn described this gallery as a "smell the roses place."  I think it is.


The main gallery on the first floor where my solo exhibition is held has several partition walls which makes the space divide almost into separate rooms.  I took some panorama view photos of the show.  Hopefully, this will give you an idea what the show looks like.


I see more threads were added to my installation.  Thank you for participating in making this piece!   The show is still up through July 18th.  



3 AM in Sojourner's Journey
May 30 - July 18
Carriage Factory Art Gallery
128 E. Sixth Street, Newton, KS, 67114
(316)284-2749

Open Hours:
Tue- Fri, Noon - 5:00pm
Sat. 10:00 am - 5:00 pm