Thursday, March 28, 2013

Upcoming Show... Surface: Sculpture Guild Annual Show

I am showing an installation art piece at Sculpture Guild Annual Show this Final Friday.

Surface: Sculpture Guild Annual Show
Opening Reception:  March 29th, 2013  6:00pm - 10:00pm
Place: Basement of Mid-America Fine Arts Gallery
401 E. Douglas, Suite 300, Wichita, KS, 67202

The theme for this year's show is 'surface.'  When I heard the word 'surface,' I immediately thought of a 'dryer sheet.'  I started ironing, cutting, and ripping them.

 I went to a laundry frequently and collected used dryer sheets.  The ladies who are working there also collected them voluntarily and gave them to me every week, which became a big help.  I also asked some customers if they could give me their used dryer sheets.   Some people asked 'what are you going to do with them?'  They seemed liking the idea that I was going to use them for an installation art.

 This is part of the space where we're going to have the show.  It is a huge basement owned by Mid-America Fine Arts Gallery in downtown Wichita.  I went there several times and spent time there to develop the idea.

After one and a half months of preparation, installing the work started three days ago.  

The support part was set up thanks to a Guild member's help.

The opening reception is in just a couple of days.  I hope the show will turn out great!